Thursday, December 11, 2014

ENTERTAINMENT

Entertainment (noun) - the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment

What do you want to be when you grow up? 

I remember hearing this question as a child and always having the same response: “I want to grow up to be a veterinarian!” I have always had a soft spot in my heart for animals and I used to think that being an animal lover meant that I should pursue a career in the field of veterinary care. My aspirations changed some time in my teens when I began discovering my passion for the performing arts. What started as a simple hobby has developed into a full-time lifestyle. Some people question the impact of the entertainment industry because they don’t see the importance of those who dedicate their knowledge, talents, and time to it. Those people have never experienced the emotions that can be evoked and amplified through a production.

Through the short time I have been involved with the entertainment industry, I’ve had the opportunity to work on various styles of shows. Shows that display tragedy to teach us of consequences and help shape morals. Shows that diligently break down the rules of comedy to spread happiness through laughter. Also shows that have allowed for freedom of expression and improvisation meaning the evoked reaction was dependent on individual perspectives. Maybe I haven’t lived up to my childhood dream of saving the lives of people’s pets, but I definitely think my childhood self would be proud of what I am growing up to become. I am an artist of the theatre and every single day I have the ability to influence lives through entertainment.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 - Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Almost one-sixths of my current contract with Carnival Cruise Lines has been completed and I cannot express how much I enjoy the work I do onboard the Carnival Victory. Typically I work an average of 60-70 hours a week doing maintenance in the main theatre, setting up technical equipment for the daily activities, and managing the backstage area for productions. During show operations, it is my responsibility to maintain a safe environment for the performers and backstage hands while drops lower from the fly system and large scenic pieces, mounted on casters, are moved throughout the space. I also assist the performers with various needs, such as quick changes, prop hand-offs, microphone difficulties, etc. and there are the occasional pyrotechnic effects that I must give clearance to. At times, being the backstage manager for the productions on the Carnival Victory is a lot like being Superman during a pileup in an intersection. Maybe I am being over-dramatic, but I do always come out of shows with unexplainable bruises and abrasions.

My job can be challenging and, at times, incredibly dangerous (especially when we have rough weather) but I feel fulfilled by the work I produce. Also, when I am not working I am typically taking advantage of the amenities throughout the ship or exploring the destinations that our ship travels to. The voyage that we took last week has become my favorite. It was a 4-day cruise through the western Caribbean and we ported in Key West, Florida and Cozumel, Mexico. Both of these locations are visually stunning and have enjoyable surprises around every corner. The thing I found the most intriguing about Key West was a particular species of wildlife that freely roamed through all areas of the city. CHICKENS! Maybe I am simpleton, but for some reason seeing wild chickens walk around unbothered and unafraid of people puts a smile on my face. However, I did encounter one brave fowl who took advantage of my fascination. 

It was around 11 p.m. and I decided to go for brunch at a French-styled bistro nestled away in the streets of Key West. I read the menu and debated between ordering cinnamon french toast or a honey and berry crêpe. After much deliberation, I went with the crêpe. A few minutes later, my waitress delivered to me the most delicious plate of food that my palate has ever had the pleasure of tasting.  The edges of the crêpe folded off of the plate slightly and puddles of honey and cinnamon roll icing seeped into the surface. The assortment of berries sprinkled across the top relieved some of my guilt of eating such a sugary meal at the beginning of the day, each berry was fresh and full of flavor.

About a third of the way into this heavenly meal, I heard the crow of a rooster. He missed the crack of dawn. I cleverly thought to myself in the moment. But then I heard another squawk. I looked over my left shoulder only to see the cock perched on the fence that separated the bistro and a neighborhood. We stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Then he cocked his head and crept one foot in front of the other. Our eyes still locked, he inched his way closer to me as if the fence was a balance beam and I was the gold medallion. He stopped, parallel to my table. I braced myself. The bird lunged off of the fence toward my table and I threw my arms in front of my face, a scream may have escaped my mouth. I was frozen and tense, but still alive. I lowered my arms and slowly opened my eyes only to realize that the rooster had jumped clear over the table and to the other side of me. He now stood on the ground staring at me from below, seemingly less intimidating.

I then heard the tittering voice of my waitress "He is just here to pick up the scraps."

The next day we travelled to Cozumel, Mexico. The interesting thing about this port is that we remain at it from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., meaning a large majority of crew members are spared for the evening seeing as most of the guest are not on the ship. We consider Cozumel our unofficial night off whenever we visit. Having a free evening for this port is perfect because shortly after you realize how aesthetically pleasing the area is, someone is most likely going to force tequila upon you. Now, I've never been much of a tequila drinker but that doesn't matter in Cozumel. Within an hour of being off the ship, I found myself in the middle of downtown with beads around my neck and a glazed-over look painted on my face. My sobriety had been taken from me.

My next plan of action was to take a 45-minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen. Once I reached my destination, I found an authentic Mexican restaurant to sober up at by eating guacamole and vegetable fajitas. Once again, I enjoyed one of the best meals I have ever had. I then went to the beach and put a towel down in order to bathe in the sun, the sounds that were composed by the collision of ocean and land nearly put me to sleep. Once the sun began to lower from the sky, I decided to further explore Playa de Carmen by walking down the main strip. That is when I met a Central American squirrel monkey!


The man holding this monkey told me to take the red leash and then hold my arm out. I followed his instructions and the next thing I knew, I had a monkey latched to my forearm. The monkey quickly ascended my body and scampered behind my neck. He sat on my shoulder and placed his tiny hands on the back of my head. Again, maybe I am a simpleton, but this entire moment brought so much joy into my life. After monkeying around for a little bit, I said goodbye to my friend so that he could spread merriment to the next passerby. 

A good friend of mine once noted that she thought I operated like a filing cabinet. Every time I was inputting or outputting information, she said she could visualize me opening and closing the drawers within my cranium, organizing and sorting through the folders. I try to maintain an unachievable amount of organization in my life but I am learning to accept that things will never go 100% according to plan. Sometimes your boat will be rocky making things seem impossible to control but the seas always calm eventually. Once they do, find something that will entertain you. I can only hope that my stories this from this past week have managed to bring a degree of entertainment to your life. As always, I want to thank you for your time and remind you to be on the look out for the next post!

À tout à l'heure! (which means "see you later" in French!)

No comments:

Post a Comment